Olallieberry


A few days ago I was having dinner and noticed the restaurant was serving olallieberry pie. I didn't order any...but I was definitely interested in what "exactly" an olallieberry was. I don't know about you, but I was unfamiliar, so I decided to do a bit of research and this is what I found via Wikipedia.

Olallieberry - is a cross between the loganberry and the youngberry, each of which is itself a cross between blackberry and another berry (raspberry and dewberry, respectively).

The original cross was made in 1935 by S. J. Harvey with the United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS), who ran the cooperative blackberry breeding program between the USDA-ARS and Oregon State University. Selected in 1937 and tested in Oregon, Washington and California as 'Oregon 609', it was named 'Olallie' and released in 1950.[2] While developed in Oregon, it has never been very productive there and is therefore primarily grown in California.